Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Thwarted Plans






6:00 a.m. 

I’m in a warm blanket cocoon, finishing up a dream.

Whack.

Someone’s hard little head crashes into mine.

“Wake up, Mimi!”

My grandson has spent the night with me.

(His parents went out last night.)

He usually sleeps ‘til around 7:00.

I had a plan. I would get up early, sneak out into the living room, and do some writing.


We’re watching "Robots" now instead.

(He’s not thrilled that I’m typing.)

It seems that every single time I try to make plans, they are thwarted.

Excuse me. James just pushed the laptop out of my lap and yelled, “No witing!!!”

Okay. The movie got interesting again. What was I saying? Oh yeah. I was talking about thwarted plans. So anyway, I’ll mentally make a list as I drift off to sleep. I tell myself, “Well, today was a wash, but I’ll accomplish something tomorrow. I’ll get up early, have my quiet time, finish writing that life-changing piece, feed, bathe, and dress James, put on my workout clothes, and go to the gym. Then I’ll come back and clean up the house and do some laundry. And then…”

Wow. The laptop almost hit the floor that time. I’m bribing him with some gummy treats now. Before breakfast.

That was quick. Cheese toast on the way.

Where was I?

I was telling you how annoying it is that my plans never work out. Make ‘em and break ‘em…that’s how I live these days. Sometimes it irks me that we never get to do what I want to do. Couldn’t we watch the Today Show for once instead of Sesame Street? I mean, would that be a huge deal?

Oops. A shoe was just thrown my way. Confinement time. Belted into the booster seat.

“Now be sweet and eat your cheese toast, please.”

“I want more tweats! More tweats, Mimi!!”  (Shoulda known that was a bad idea…sugar before breakfast. Never works.)

Anyway, I realize that wanting my own way…trying to stick to my plan…just leads to frustration and irritation.

“I don’t wike cheese toast!!! I want tweats!”

BAM. Sippy cup hits the floor. Lid flies off. Milk everywhere.

That’s it. I give up.


Maybe we’ll just go to the park today.

And smell some more of these along the way:





***************

“You can make many plans, but the Lord’s purpose will prevail.” (Proverbs 19:21 nlt)



9 comments:

  1. Bwahahaha!

    FYI on the sippy cup throwing tantrum...we were able to nip that pretty quickly. First sippy is milk or juice. If you throw it on the floor, that makes a sticky mess so then you get water. Water is much easier for Mama to clean up. I can't make you not throw the cup but I can make sure it isn't so hard for me to clean up if you decide to.

    I never had the heart to just take the cup away altogether since I hate being thirsty, myself.

    And plans. They make me giggle even while I make them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so understand. And I wonder why my kids have such "fabulous" meltdowns. (Because they watch me have mine. Great mothering skills, huh?)

    If you were closer, I'd love to have a playdate so you could have a break! I know that doesn't help much, but the thought of it is comforting perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making plans. Plans changing. Welcome to my world. . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous photos!

    Did you take them?

    Good message, too. "Our ways are not his ways..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous photos.

    Did you take them?

    Good message, too. "Our ways are not his ways..."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am also spending the day with a 2 year old...As I watch him I am reminded how much like a toddler I must appear before my heavenly Father! Sometimes I throw more than my cup, and I am much more disobedient! God has quite a sense of humor, doesn't he? You are such an amazing woman and I am so blessed by your writing...Praying for a tantrum free day!! (For you and your Biddy!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh---your schedule (or lack thereof) sounds very similar to Kelli (successisrelative). Guess the days with small children are the same, regardless of the age of the mother....!?! It was fun when I was young--can't imagine doing it now. I admire your energy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know that I don't have a hint of what you have on my plate,but that's exactly how i feel most everyday. Guess it's just life with a baby. But it's the part no one else ever witnesses. Don't know if it makes you feel any better, but your post sure made me feel a lot better! After all you've been through and daily life with a toddler is still hard. Maybe I'm not defective;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kim!
    I used to read a chapter of proverbs for every day of the month (because there are 31!) but kind of fell off that wagon a bit. Inspired to take it up again. It was amazing how it was new every time I read it. Thanks for reminding me! Hope that you got to go to the park after all!
    Much love
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete

Hi!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write.

It helps to know we're not alone.