Sunday, March 21, 2010

Clouds






Sometimes I feel like a ping-pong ball, whacked back and forth from coast to coast by malevolent forces beyond my control.

Whack!   East Coast…100 obligations, events, and expectations…

Whack!   West Coast…hold on to your hat and hit the ground running!

Usually, I find myself somewhere over Texas.

Looking out the window, I stare at the puffy, white clouds. I imagine jumping on them…collapsing into them…resting in them. I wonder what they taste like. Soft snow? Celestial cotton candy?

Watching them makes me feel soft and malleable, like they are.

Slowly, imperceptibly, they shift and evolve into new shapes and forms.

As do I.

The tense and tension-laden me shifts and softens into the calm and peaceful me.


It helps to have a little perspective.

It’s all in the way you look at things. And the angle from which you view them.


There is a river of peace that gently flows above the frenzied anthill of the earth below.


I hope I can float it in after I land.


***************


Rows and floes of angel hair
And ice cream castles in the air
And feather canyons ev'rywhere
I've looked at clouds that way

But now they only block the sun
They rain and snow on ev'ryone
So many things I would have done
But clouds got in my way


I've looked at clouds from both sides now
From up and down and still somehow
It's clouds illusions I recall
I really don't know clouds at all.


Joni Mitchell



4 comments:

  1. I have always loved that song!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim,
    And the rest of the lyrics to that same song, you have done as well: Looked at life from both sides now, looked at love from both sides now, looked at friends from both sides now....but, one thing that all of the rest of us have seen for certain: You really do know love---you really do know love---at all. All of it. Yes, you've shown us how to face tears and fears and say, "I love you" right out loud.
    You've got us all singing---in unison--with you and yours. Thank you. Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for reminding me that in the midst of chaos, we can find our perspective by centering ourselves in Him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pray that you have time to rest while you are there! Your commitment to this blog is so helpful; as I'm sure it takes energy, thought, and concentration amidst every other commitment in your life! Thank you for writing from all stages of your life. You are leaving a legacy. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Hi!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write.

It helps to know we're not alone.